Ads Top

Tydran Beaty competing for roster spot with Texas Legends

Photo Credit: Ron Ward / Moncton Miracles

It (playing with Moncton) gave me the experience that I think I need to bring to the training camp this season.

Former Moncton Miracles player Tydran Beaty is competing for a roster spot with an NBA Development League team.

The six-foot-seven, 205-pound forward is trying out for the Texas Legends, the NBA D-League affiliate for the Dallas Mavericks, starting today. Beaty officially signed his contract for the club’s training camp about two and a half weeks ago.

“I’ve been working out with my assistant coaches for the past couple of weeks so I could actually get a little feel before I go in early,” said Beaty prior to the start of training camp. “I’m just excited to get in and put my best foot forward.”

Beaty, who played in his first season of professional basketball with the Miracles in 2015-16, was one of the team’s core players, averaging 13.9 points per game, 5.8 rebounds per game and 1.3 assists per game in 43 appearances. He also made the NBL Canada All-Rookie team. He was also on Moncton's protected players list to keep his NBLC rights.

He had played with the Harlem Globetrotters for two years prior to signing with Moncton last year.
Beaty he had a workout with the Legends shortly after returning home from New Brunswick to his home state of South Carolina. He was soon offered a contract with the D-League club.

Beaty explained he is thankful for former Miracles head coach Serge Langis – who now is with the Kitchener-Waterloo Titans – and the city for giving him the opportunities to succeed.

“I really learned a lot last year just from the whole aspect of the game,” said Beaty. “They really helped me prepare for the situation I’m in now, as far as my offense, defense, team play, chemistry and just learning about the game as a whole. It (playing with Moncton) gave me the experience that I think I need to bring to the training camp this season.”

Beaty is one of the many players with National Basketball League of Canada ties who were recently drafted by NBA D-League clubs or who are trying out for roster spots.

Some of them include former London Lightning and Windsor Express big man Maurice Bolden (drafted 18th overall Oct. 30 by the Austin Spurs), fellow Miracles player Brandan Kearney (who is trying out for the Sioux Falls Skyforce, the defending NBA D-League champions and Miami Heat affiliate) and Kendall Williams (who was drafted by the Raptors 905, the Toronto Raptors affiliate, weeks after signing with the Lightning – the Lightning still own his NBLC player rights).

Beaty explained he plans to “go all out” to try and get one of the Legends’ 10 roster spots for this upcoming season.

“I’m going every day like it’s my last day of basketball and just give it all I got and put my trust in God to handle the rest,” he said.


The NBA D-League season starts Nov. 11. The NBLC regular season tips off Dec. 26.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.