Ads Top

Brandan Kearney makes Sioux Falls Skyforce training camp roster

Photo Credit: Ron Ward / Moncton Miracles
Brandan Kearney has joined a group of NBL Canada alumni hoping to make the NBA Development League in the upcoming season. He is among 17 players on the training camp roster of the Sioux Falls Skyforce, reigning D-League champions and affiliate to the Miami Heat.

"I was excited and proud," said Kearney. "Especially since I didn't get drafted into the D-League or invited to a training camp last year. I felt like it was improvement based on where I was at this time of the year last year."

The 23-year-old guard was taken second overall by the Moncton Miracles at the 2015 NBL Canada draft, and he had an impressive rookie season with the team, averaging 9.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2.1 assists. He became one of 14 "iron men" to appear in all 40 regular season games.

Kearney's presence was mainly felt from beyond the arc. He poured in four or more three-pointers on six separate occasions and shot .400 from long-range on the season. He even displayed his versatility in both passing and rebounding. Kearney left Moncton not only with All-Rookie Team honors, but also with more self-assurance.

"Spending time in the Canadian league last year was very important," he added. "I gained confidence in my game after coming off a not-so-great college career... all my teammates, my coaches, and the fans for the Moncton Miracles believed in me and made me feel comfortable during my rookie season there... I love to see that the NBL Canada is growing and getting even more competitive as well as more exposure."

Since completing the 2015-16 season, Kearney has embarked on a mission to hit the next level of pro basketball. He took part in Tony Falce Pro Day—an event which hosted about 20 NBA scouts—and he stood out as one of its top shooters.

In June, Kearney was invited to the Miami Heat free agent camp, where he was unable to make the summer league squad. However, he did not go unnoticed, and the team kept him on their radar and he was eventually approached by the Skyforce. Now that he has made it this far in Sioux Falls, he must show why he belongs there.

"My outlook as I try and make the official roster is to go into training camp and play hard, smart, and aggressive," he said, looking ahead. "I also want to enjoy this opportunity and continue to enjoy playing the game I love while in camp."

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.