Ads Top

Scoop Jardine set to get fresh start in Moncton

Photo Credit: USA Today
When getting to play the game you know you love to do, where you’re playing doesn’t matter. Whether it’s the NBA D-League or the NBA or NBLC, it’s all the same thing when you get to play what you love doing.
Scoop Jardine is set to have a fresh start to his career with the Moncton Miracles.

Jardine, a six-foot-two point guard, is ready to play professionally for the first time since his younger brother, Saafir "Dada" Richards, was shot and killed in 2014. Jardine had been set to play in Austria before finding out the news.

“I took a year off basketball (because of it) and now I want to get myself a fresh start,” said Jardine in an interview with the National Basketball League of Canada’s social media department. “Going to Canada and reuniting with Coach Paul (Mokeski) gives me that certain energy and start where I know it’s going to be special for me and my career. I feel where this is where it all starts.”

Prior to the shooting, Mokeski, the head coach for the Miracles, had tried recruiting Jardine to play in the NBLC. Jardine, who had been playing in the NBA Development League at the time, did not know much about it.

“I worked with Scoop a few years back in Houston at the John Lucas (Enterprises) gym. I liked what I saw,” said Mokeski.

When Mokeski started coaching in NBL Canada about three years ago, Jardine kept his eyes on the league. When more players started coming to Canada, the Syracuse University product saw the potential the league had and wanted to be a part of it.

 “I was talking to his agent this summer when I saw him play in a camp in Las Vegas and it started to make sense for both of us,” said Mokeski.

While Jardine has not played professionally in two years, he has kept busy since then. He had started multiple charities and businesses to help youth in basketball, including Basketball Is Life and the Palm Ocean Sports Institute. He has also kept in good shape to play the sport.

He had averaged 7.8 points per game and 4.5 assists per game with the NBA D-League’s Tulsa 66ers in 2013-14.

“Scoop is a true point guard. He will look to penetrate and find teammates for scoring opportunities,” said Mokeski.

Jardine, who has been playing basketball since he was four years old, considers his opportunity to play for the Miracles to be refreshing. He said he felt he had a lot of weight on his shoulders four years ago when he was still playing for the Syracuse Orange, from playing in the NBA to his financial situation. He said those stressors does not matter now with the game of basketball.

While he does not know much about the City of Moncton, he is happy to be able to play somewhere professionally again.

“This situation for me really is my life. I picked this opportunity in Canada to get back to doing me,” said Jardine. “Basketball is my life … I don’t care if it was in Alaska. When getting to play the game you know you love to do, where you’re playing doesn’t matter. Whether it’s the NBA D-League or the NBA or NBLC, it’s all the same thing when you get to play what you love doing.”

Jardine and the Miracles will start their season Dec. 26.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.