Ads Top

PG Craig Foster heading to Saint John Riptide

Photo Credit: CameronAggies.com
The Saint John Riptide bolstered their backcourt today, signing point guard Craig Foster.

A native of Lawton, Oklahoma, Foster played college basketball at Cameron University for four seasons. The floor general earned NCAA Division II All-American honors, as well as Lone Star Conference Player of the Year, in his junior season with the Aggies.

As a senior, Foster was named Preseason National Player of the Year for NCAA Division II. During his most recent college season, he averaged 14.8 points, 4.7 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.6 steals.

After leaving Cameron, Foster was not able to find a professional contract. He tried out for the NBL Canada in a 2014 summer combine, but he ultimately left without an offer.

A Native American, he spent about half of the 2015-16 season with the semi-pro Native Pride of the American Basketball Association, averaging 15.6 points, 10.4 assists, and 2.5 steals.

The former Aggies star also participated in tournaments designed for top Native American players. He joined several pro-am leagues to continue developing his game. Another job Foster took up was as a trainer for younger players. Additionally, he worked with ex-London Lightning star DeAnthony Bowden, who he has known for eight years.

"I'm a lot stronger," said Foster, looking back at his first combine. "The IQ of (my) game has improved, my defense is a lot better, I've improved my catch-and-shoot shooting, and most importantly, I'm better mentally and spiritually."

Foster's arrival in Saint John marks the beginning of a new era in his career. It was his first time ever signing a deal with a pro team.

"Hitting the professional level is a feeling I'll never forget," said Foster. "When I got the call and heard the news from my big brother DeAnthony Bowden...I gave him that look like it's 'go time'. This is what I've been working for everyday! It's my time to show what's been missed out on!"

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.