Ads Top

KW Titans add depth with three rookie signings

Photo Credit: Evansville Courier and Press
All three of these rookies are high character individuals that pride themselves in having a strong work ethic.
The Kitchener-Waterloo Titans have announced it has signed three rookies to professional basketball for its inaugural season.

The expansion franchise has added swingmen Orlando Coleman, Ryan Nitz and Adam Wing to its roster ahead of the start of the 2016-17 regular season next month, according to a team-issued press release. All three players played collegiately in the NCAA last year.

The announcement comes weeks after signing a number of National Basketball League of Canada veterans, including former Niagara River Lions player Adam Blazek and Moncton Miracles starter James Justice, the latter of which whose rights they acquired through a trade.

“I’m thrilled to have these young men join us in Kitchener-Waterloo and complement the veteran core we are assembling around them,” said Titans head coach Serge Langis in the press release. “All three of these rookies are high character individuals that pride themselves in having a strong work ethic and are supportive teammates both on and off the floor.”

Wing, who was the first of the three to sign with the KW Titans in August, played very well for the Evansville Purple Aces during his senior season. As their team captain, he averaged 7.8 points per game on 51.4 per cent shooting, 3.7 rebounds per game and 2.6 assists per game. The six-foot-four forward is also known for his outside shooting ability, averaging 52.5 per cent from three-point range.

“I’m thankful for the opportunity that I’ve been blessed with to play basketball in college and now as a professional,” said Wing in the release. “I’m extremely competitive, and as a hardnosed player, I’ll do the little things to help my team win. I love the idea of coming to a new team within the NBLC. When I had the opportunity to meet (Titans general manager) Stu (Julius), he lit a fire in me and I know I’m ready to make this a remarkable year with the Titans.”

Also joining the team is Coleman, who signed his contract with Kitchener-Waterloo on Sept. 28. While playing at Texas Southern University, the six-foot-five guard/forward had 6.4 points per game and 4.1 rebounds per game in 32 appearances. He is also set earn a master’s degree in Health and Human Performance this fall from the Division I school.

“His ability to shoot the ball and use his athleticism to score stood out for me while watching him play in college,” said Langis. “He takes pride in how he defends his man and is not afraid to play a physical brand of basketball which is extremely important for our team.”

When he signed his first professional contract in September, Coleman said he felt blessed to be able to play in the NBLC. He also explained in the release that he plans to play above the rim as well as try to have as much energy as possible to keep the fans and team excited.

“I’m ecstatic about the opportunity to further my career and reach my lifetime dream of becoming a professional basketball player this season with the Titans,” said Coleman. “I’m ready to show the team and our new fans that I give it my all on the court … I’m really looking forward to the Titans making a mark on the league and the community through the culture we’ll build this season as a new franchise.”

The last of the announced rookie signings is former California State University Monterey Bay Otters star Ryan Nitz. He led his Division III NCAA team in scoring, averaging 19.1 points per game during his senior year. He also had 6.6 rebounds per game and 2.2 assists per game in 2015-16. Nitz had announced the signing on Instagram more than eight weeks ago.

“I’m really looking forward to begin my professional career in Canada,” said Nitz. “I’m excited to meet the coaching staff and learn as much as I can from them. In college, I was expected to be a scoring guard, but here I’m ready to do whatever is needed of me to bring energy to the team … I’m just ready to get to Kitchener and start building the team chemistry together.”

Langis is also a fan of Nitz’s scoring ability.

“Nitz has a tremendous ability to create his own shot which is very important in short clock situations,” he said. After playing well in his senior year as well as in the Drew League this summer against some NBA talent, we think Ryan has serious potential to be a high contributor to our team's success this coming season.”

All the players explained in the release that they feel the Titans could play very well this season. Coach Langis also said in an interview with NBLC Central last week that he wants the team to be competitive and tough to beat on Day 1.

“If the team buys into Langis’s philosophy, I’m confident we can really make some noise this year,” said Wing.


The KW Titans start their season on Boxing Day when they take on the Orangeville A’s at Kitchener Memorial Auditorium.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.